Foundation Enrolments and Transition

To start primary school, your child will need to turn 5 years old by 30 April. If your child is starting Foundation (Prep) next year, you will be able to apply to enrol your child in a Victorian government primary school from the start of Term 2.

What you need to do:

  1. Download the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers.'
  2. Use Find my School to locate your designated neighbourhood school (referred to as your local school) and other nearby government schools.
  3. Contact us to book a school tour or to learn more about the school and the enrolment application process. The school will provide you with the form to complete.
  4. Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by the end of July.
  5. You will be notified of the outcome of your application in early August. If you receive an enrolment offer, you should accept the offer by the end of August.
  6. Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4
  7. Read tips for starting primary school to learn how you can support your child.

Enrolment applications submitted after July will be processed by the school as they are received, in accordance with the Department of Education's Placement Policy.


Your child has a right to enrol at their local school. Your child’s local school is determined on the basis of their permanent residential address. Visit Find my School to locate your child’s local school. The enrolling in a school page can also help you to confirm your child’s address for enrolment.


If you are seeking to apply to enrol your child in a school that is not their local school, you should read about school zones and how they work and how applications are prioritised using the Department of Education’s Placement Policy found on the enrolling in a school page.